Village Origins


Many Welsh towns and villages originally grew up around a castle or stronghold.  Although nothing remains of Sentence Castle except a     mound it is quite likely that the village came into being due to Sentence Castle.


According to local legend Templeton takes its name from the Knights Templar who hunted in the nearby forests and had some form of religious house or hospice in the village. Records are few and far between. The earliest reference to the village that we have found is 1282 when it was called Villa Templaril.


The village has always been agriculturally orientated and the field structures have remained static for hundreds of years.


Richard Fenton the 19th century historian described the village as a skeleton of a larger village with the remains of some large houses still being visible.